Fabric sofas and sofa sets: Five things to consider before buying
Fabric sofas and sofa sets are a popular seating option when it comes to living room furniture. These sofas come in a wide range of styles, colors and prints, while sofa sets offer spatial versatility when furnishing a room. But before purchasing a fabric sofa set, there are a few things to remember:
- Consider the pieces needed. Fabric sofa sets usually include a sofa, loveseat and accent chair. Some sets even include an ottoman. The great thing about sofa sets is the ability to mix and match items based on your unique seating needs.
- Set a budget. Fabric sofa sets are an economical option, compared to purchasing pieces separately. Also, fabric sofas are usually less expensive than leather alternatives. Still, always set a budget when purchasing big-ticket furniture items. Don’t forget to factor in taxes and shipping costs.
- Pick a color. Microfiber and fabric sofas come in a wide range of colors and prints to match any style or décor. Imagine how various colors will look with current living room furniture, and how it will match the look and feel of the rest of your home.
- Examine the features closely. Modern sofa sets vary in style greatly. Pay attention to the sofa legs, arms (or lack of) and whether cushions are fixed or loose. Consider the different types of fabric sofas available: microfiber, cotton, synthetics, wool. The options are endless!
- Look beyond the exterior. Picking the color of sofa fabric is important, but pay attention to what is underneath. Sturdy sofa frames are made from either kiln-dried hardwood or metal. Frames made from soft wood, such as pine, tend to be less expensive but less durable.